Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

1,382 Miles


Defuniak Springs and Paxton in Florida, up 331 north from Interstate 10. Then on to Florala, Libertyville, Andalusia, Evergreen in Alabama - the first day of my road trip. It was a needed get away, this road trip. I did a lot of driving and saw some really beautiful sights. Unfortunately the country roads have no shoulders to pull off on, high grass along side of the roads and many speeding logging trucks which greatly reduced my ability to take all the photos I wanted to. Regardless I had a great time and especially enjoyed the sights on my second day from Evergreen, Alabama through Pine Apple, Alabama up to Demopolis and to Forkland, Alabama, where I saw Bird's Farm and took a few photos of the strange sights there on the farm. You will find a link to a web site at the bottom of this page that explains a bit more about this odd place.



I drove up to Pelham, Alabama and spent my second night there. Day three was a trip up to Guntersville, Alabama - there is a great State Park in Guntersville - then I drove across to Rome, Georgia and then to Woodstock, north of Atlanta where I stayed a few days. Driving home today I drove through the early morning darkness and rain all the way from Woodstock, around 285 and through Atlanta with my brights on before I noticed it. Making enemies all along the way no doubt! Just south of Montgomery I decided to take more country roads home (Hwy 331) where I saw something I had never seen before - miles of road where very large spider webs where strung between the telephone and cable lines on the side of the road. The early morning mist made them stand out, looking like giant dreamcatchers. I took a few photos I will include at the bottom. It was actually beautiful. My photos do not do it justice but it will give you an idea of what I'm describing.

Following are just some photographs I took along the way. I hope you enjoy them. There were beautiful plantation homes, horse farms, small towns with tiny City Halls, old churches and beautiful fields and hills on this trip. It's not a trip looking at run down buildings as my photos below show. I just felt like photographing that subject matter this trip. I did not really stop all that much to take landscape photos, I just enjoyed it as I went by. And I'm glad I went!










Bird's Farm, Forkland, Alabama - http://www.ruralswalabama.org/attractions/birds-farm-at-forkland-al/

3 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your pictures. Thanks very much for sharing. I'm glad you followed your dream - it must have felt pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post - enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were in John's Families neck of the woods-it is so pretty in all those places. So fun to just go isn't it?

    ReplyDelete