Pages

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Genetically Modified Gospel

Today riding back home from Atlanta we passed a church with a catchy "you are a winner" slogan, which my husband read out loud. I can't remember what the slogan was exactly but I remember exactly how hearing the slogan read made me feel -  irritated. And a phrase came to me about the slogan - "genetically modified gospel". And as I frequently do, I began to think about writing something about that phrase/title that had come to me. You see, we were coming home from a business trip and a visit with a family member and as family members do, we laughed a lot and discussed all manor of topics - but life is not all laughs and many times life is very hard. We had also shared some struggles. I guess I had been internalizing this part of our conversation and then the church marketing on the sign entered the picture...when we returned home I went to the internet to look up articles and information on genetically modified food so I could write this with a little bit of knowledge of the process to genetically modify something. I can't say that I really understand all that goes into the process where our food has been altered but I did discover a few things, so here goes.


Genetically modified foods have been genetically engineered by the direct manipulation of it's genome using biotechnology to increase crop yields. Genome is the entirety of an organism's heredity information. Heredity information. Sounds to me that means as it was and is, naturally. Increasing crop yields is a good thing, right? I mean after all, what's wrong with increasing a farmer's yield and increasing the plant's resistance to pests? Sounds good. We should be grateful and happy regarding man's efforts to make something "better" and "more". Yet I can't help wondering (and do believe that) the food we eat is making us sicker and sicker and fatter and fatter, and so "more" is not "better", in my opinion, in regards to what has been done and is still being done to our food supply. But on to the modified gospel...

Why would it be that there is so much suffering in the world if God really meant following Jesus was to bring health, wealth and prosperity in all forms? If these wonderful promises don't happen to you, does that mean you are in the group that gets picked last for kickball? The news regarding Syria - one million Syrian children are refugees, over 3,000 people in Syria recently victims of what looks like their own government using chemical weapons on them, Christians in Sudan being airlifted out to save their lives, children in Haiti dying of hunger...

To swallow the tainted gospel message of personal achievement and self satisfaction can only be believed in while an individual would be willingly living in a culture of have and have nots, and participating in. How else could you possibly believe that is what the gospel is all about?  Happy, happy, happy? Maybe the have nots are just simply out of luck because they can't read, or they don't have access to the internet to hear that they should be healthy, wealthy and prosperous? Maybe they will never be picked for kick ball?

I know this is a bit of a rant but I had to. In closing I have included a video that sums up what I'm feeling right now - link is below. I hope that what started with irritation earlier today for me will be motivation to: For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat. I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger and you invited me in. I needed clothes and you clothed me. I was sick and you looked after me. I was in prison and you came to visit me. Matthew 25: 35-36

www.youtube.com/watch?autoplay=1&v=PTc_FoELt8s&desktop_uri=%252Fwatch%253Fv%253DPTc_FoELt8s%2526autoplay%253D1&nomobile=1

3 comments:

  1. Enjoy the post, your comments and the video clip...glad you chose John Piper...love to watch his video sermons as well as other American speakers who have free video downloads...understand what he and others are frustrated about concerning the "Prosperity Gospel" but it really worries me how easily we Americans so easily turn on each other with such hostile rhetoric. Seems it's always something to do with politics or religion...personally I just don't want to take sides, but even that can be dangerous when people are witch hunting or are on a crusade and I'm standing in the wrong crowd of people (not because I agree with the crowd I'm in at the moment)...love to listen to John Piper, but I also love to listen to the other side - it really helps me to hear people preach the Word of God, especially from those who love Jesus (no matter what they're preaching)...really think we should be more like Paul and just be super glad that the Gospel is even being preached.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerry - I feel the same way about the gospel (good news) being preached. No one is perfect and I appreciate many ways that God uses people to convey His message. I usually don't speak out because I don't want to be considered "hostile" or that I am "turning on someone" - and I do give room for differences in style. The prosperity strain of teaching however I believe to be very dangerous and so I have no problem speaking out against it. Ezekiel 13:10-12 “‘Because they lead my people astray, saying, “Peace,” when there is no peace, and because, when a flimsy wall is built, they cover it with whitewash, therefore tell those who cover it with whitewash that it is going to fall. Rain will come in torrents, and I will send hailstones hurtling down, and violent winds will burst forth. When the wall collapses, will people not ask you, “Where is the whitewash you covered it with?”
      I believe that the message these preachers bring is dangerous in the day of battle. I also believe it is exclusive, not inclusive. Wealth brings vanity to most humans. It is easier to go through the eye of a needle then for the wealthy to enter the kingdom of God, I've read. Anyway, I agree that the gospel being preached is the point, I'm just not so sure the prosperity one really is.

      Delete
    2. Maribeth, thanks for reading my comment and responding. Your views on the "Prosperity Gospel" are well received...whole heartedly agree with you on the "inclusiveness" part...i'll keep watching Joel Osteen videos and i just started watching Joyce Meyer videos, but in no way does it mean I believe everyone who believes in Jesus should be rich or pursue financial success as a spiritual objective...i'm in education and realize as an ESL teacher in China, i'll never be rich (feel like a beggar whenever i return to the States for short visits), but i have seen God bring success to me in my teaching and i have a good lifestyle here in rural China - definitely not impoverished...i love the Bible, have read it many times in English and Chinese, and will keep reading it...i'm overjoyed to get free Christian videos, also love to hear John Piper teach and preach (he's strongly against the "Prosperity Gospel")...i listen to video preachers like i eat fish - eat the meat and spit out the bones. Thanks again for the post and for your comments...i always enjoy your blog.

      Delete